Growing up our favourite breakfast was Mum’s freshly made waffles hot out of the waffle-iron with our choice of toppings. Here’s a simple yet luxurious flavour combination that you can treat yourself, and bring back to nostalgia of Mum’s brekkie.
MAKES: 8-10 Waffles
PREPARATION: 10 minutes
COOKING: 20 minutes
1 cup Self-raising flour 1 tbsp Caster sugar Pinch salt
1⁄2 cup cream, or natural yoghurt 1⁄2 cup milk
60gr butter, melted
2 eggs, separated
Fresh figs, halved or quartered Honey, or maple syrup
- Preheat waffle iron
- Sift dry ingredients into large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix together cream, milk, melted butter, & egg yolks.
- Place egg whites in a separate bowl & beat until stiff peaks are formed.
- Add dry ingredients to cream mixture & mix well.
- Gently fold egg whites into mixture.
- Lightly grease waffle iron. Spoon batter into waffle iron and cook for about 5-7
minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot, topped with a spoonful of mascarpone, fresh figs, flaked almonds, and a
drizzle of honey or maple syrup.
By Sam Goodwin